Sunday, October 17, 2010

Statement of Intent

I wanted to write a statement of intent, so as to present my concept in a unified structure, for all of you to enjoy. It was surprisingly very helpful. Here goes:


I was initially drawn to the story of Ulysses due to the style in which James Joyce decided to write what could be considered a very boring day in the life of two men. Joyce challenged the structural ideas of the past, and in doing so, was able to show the true beauty in the day-to-day complexities of life. Dead City carries on this idea, as well as several themes, such as the quest for paternity (now the quest for maternity), as well as the epic hero (before Leopold, now Samantha) being just that due to his or her ability for compassion and understanding in any situation. I couldn’t think of a more important quality in a hero, when our world today is so consumed with violence.

I want to create a play that excites all of the senses, either directly or by calling up the memory of it in the mind. The evocative descriptions of sights, sounds, tastes, smells, and tactile sensations in Ulysses struck me so deeply, and it lends itself greatly to a story that could have been an epic bore. I want to fully envelope the audience in the world we have created, and through that, present a cathartic viewpoint of how we are now living, creating more and more barriers between each other due to our romance with technology.

I promise to constantly question and challenge every member of this production, as well as myself. I will always encourage new ideas, but also embrace those ideas we have agreed upon as truth, fostering them through their development until they can be fully realized. I put the utmost emphasis on collaboration, as it is the backbone of theatre. I will always be striving to integrate all of the elements of design, along with the actors, to create a unified, inspiring production.



- the director

No comments:

Post a Comment